Top 10 Database clients for developers!
There are many SQL Clients available in the market with different and interesting features to make your job as a Developer or Database Administrator easy and interesting.
In this article, we are going to look at the top 10 Database Clients for developers and compare each of their features to spot the most and interesting ones to choose from in a wide range of Database Clients available.
As a Backend Developer, you might want to type along all the raw SQL queries needed to carry out your daily task, but that will be way too difficult and time-consuming.
In this article, I will present different Database Clients you can use as a developer to make your job easier.
There are also many other important reasons to use these SQL Clients, these tools will assist in:
- Querying the database
- Building and executing the SQL code from one place
- Generating and downloading reports
- Generating and storing database Backups
- Diagnosing and analyzing the application related to a database.
This is a list of Top 10 Database Clients for developers you can use today to make your database job easier.
Before we delve in, if you’re a backend developer or looking at delving into this career path, join other developers to receive daily articles on backend development that will boost your productivity.
Let’s get right in
Overview of Oracle SQL Developer
Oracle SQL Developer is an integrated development environment that simplifies the development and management of Oracle Database in both traditional and Cloud deployments.
If you are thinking of end-to-end development of PL/SQL database applications, then Oracle SQL Developer is your go-to tool.
Features of Oracle SQL Developer
- You can use different worksheets to run queries.
- Data modeling and reporting are made easy using this tool.
- It optimizes the expensive code to produce the fastest records.
- Managing a database through a console is a great tool for CLI lovers.
- Migration of Oracle On-Premises to Oracle Cloud is just a click away.
- Full-featured PL/SQL IDE is the focus of this tool.
- 3rd Party DBMS migrations to Oracle is also supported.
Overview of Data Grip
Data Grip is another SQL Client that supports multiple databases and provides a great experience in developing and managing multiple databases. It was created by Jet Brains.
This is very handy because you can manage many database clients from a single point.
Features of Data Grip
Data Grip has many great available features.
- You can generate SQL code from one place
- Built-in Auto-completion for faster coding.
- It allows the integration of version control systems.
- You can explore database objects, navigate through tables, edit tables,
- Export/import table or result in text, CSV, or as a query
- You can explore the table and their relationship in the diagram to get more clear insights into your database.
Overview of DB Visualizer
DB Visualizer is a universal tool for database administrators, developers, and database developers. It can be used to browse databases, edit, add records and compile procedures, etc.
DB Visualizer runs support multiple operating systems and comprises many other database vendors too.
Features of DB Visualizer
- Visual query builder and code preview,
- Visual tools to manage database objects and see code preview.
- It supports multiple operating systems
- A command-line based interface.
- You can edit, compile and, run procedures, functions, triggers, etc
- Spreadsheet-like table data editor for binary/BLOB and CLOB data types.
- SQL editor with support for IntelliSense parameterized SQLs,
- Export/Import from CSV and Excel files.
Overview of PL/SQL Developer
PL/SQL Developer is one of the most popular SQL clients in the industry.
Features of PL/SQL Developer
- Built-in Report functionality to generate any type of Report.
- It has a powerful PL/SQL Editor
- You can create a graphical representation of a selection of objects with a Diagram Window.
- PL/SQL Developer’s built-in Project concept allows you to organize your work.
- It has Integrated Debugger
- PL/SQL Developer’s built-in Test Manager allows you to run regression testing.
Overview of DBeaver
DBeaver is one of my favorite tools for database management, its a free, multi-platform SQL client and it supports all the popular databases.
Features of DBeaver
- great user interface and implemented User experience
- Support of different Cloud data sources
- Support for Enterprise security standard for small and large projects
- Capability to work with various extensions for integration with Excel, Version Control Systems, etc.
- It also supports multi-platform
Overview of Devart
dbForge by Devart has suits of database tools to help with database developments and administrations
Features of Devart
- Design tables in a visual editor
- Draw objects in a database diagram
- Coding assistance and refactoring
- T-SQL and stored routines debugging
- Compare database schemas on different instances
- Database source versioning
- Database documentation
- Generate test data
- Database unit testing
- Query profiling
Overview of Tora
Tora is a multi-platform database management application with support for accessing common database engines or vendors such as Oracle, MySQL, etc.
Features of Tora
- Tora can be configured to handles multiple connections.
- There is also in-built asynchronous database communication making the UI mostly responsive when accessing the database.
- Tora has a Security manager, Session manager, Storage manager.
- With Tora, you can retrieve the current session information.
- Tora supports DBMS alert tool.
- Tora supports optimizer hints.
Overview of Toad
Toad Software is a database management toolset for database administrators to manage relational and non-relational databases using SQL.
Toad Software is one of the most popular database management tools that allows database administrators to create and manage both relational and non-relational databases in one place using SQL.
Features of Toad
- With 20 years of active development, Toad software is a very suitable tool for database professionals.
- There are lots of automations and collaborations, which can elevate the expertise of data professionals.
- With Toad Software, you can connect both relational databases like MySQL and NoSQL like mongoDB all in one place.
- It is very easy to learn, and implement, managing new and old database platforms is very easy.
Overview of MySQL Workbench
MySQL Workbench is a unified visual database tool for anyone. It only supports MySQL databases.
MySQL Workbench provides a lot of great benefits viz:
- data modeling,
- SQL development.
- Administration tools for server configuration, user administration, backup, etc.
Workbench is a multi-platform database tool that has support for all major operating systems.
Features of Workbench
- It enables a DBA to visually design, model, generate, and manage databases.
- Workbench has in-built visual tools for database and SQL management.
- It provides IntelliSense, SQL snippets, history of SQL, etc.
- Visual Console: There is a console to administer and gain better visibility and experience into databases.
- Provides a complete, easy to use solution for migrating from other sources to MySQL.
Overview of HeidiSQL
HeidiSQL is a powerful, lightweight, free, open-source tool, easy to use tool for managing most of the popular databases.
It allows you to browse, see, create and edit data, tables, procedures, structures, and a wide range of parameters on database systems.
HeidiSQL is known to be one tool for managing different types of databases such as MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, and SQLite.
Features of HeidiSQL
- HeidiSQL is an open source software, thereby it is free for everyone to use.
- HeidiSQL also supports multiple database systems such as MySQL, Postegre, etc
- With HeidiSQL, you can generate SQL exports.
- You can connect SSH tunnel easily.
- Connecting to multiple servers can be done in one window.
- There is built in customised IntelliSense for queries.
- Monitoring client processes is made easy
That is our top 10 database clients for developers
By looking at the features of each of these SQL clients, you can easily spot the Pros and also Cons of each of them, which is essential information for you to decide on which of the tool to make use of while working with Databases.
In this article, we have learned about different SQL clients and different features.